Thursday, June 17, 2010

What is the consequences for bleaching your hair? will your hair recover?

about a month ago, i bleached my hair 3 times in a matter of a week. why? don't ask, long story. but i like dyeing my hair different colors n all and i hate having to re-dye my hair all the time because the colors fade a lot and all. i know dyeing your hair a lot is REALLY bad for you, but i wanna know a bit more about what im gonna be in for. and is there something you can do to your hair/scalp to make it better or healthy n stuff again?



What is the consequences for bleaching your hair? will your hair recover?

Everytime you bleach your hair you compromise the structural integrity of the hairshaft. The more you do it...the weaker it will get until you have nothing more than mush for hair. At that point the only thing you can do to fix it is to cut it off and start over again.



When you have a good professional bleach your hair...they are trained to assess your hair condition prior to the chemical service. They know whether or not you need structural conditioning before, during, and or after the service to protect that integrity. They also know whether or not it's advisable to even attempt the process lest your hair become that mush.



When you decide to do this yourself....you know nothing of the chemistry involved....or how to assess what the next stage of damage will be. It's basically a crap shoot...for lack of a better term.



The longer you process your hair...the more porous it will become...( which is why your color is fading so fast). Professional colorists also know how to combat that problem as well....using fillers prior to processing the color or toner.



Right now I would suggest just getting a good moisturizing shampoo and reconstructing conditioner , ( from a salon....not a grocery store) and use it at home for about 4 weeks. Then have your hair professionally assessed before anymore chemical services are attempted.



Good Luck..:)



What is the consequences for bleaching your hair? will your hair recover?

The bleach can make your hair thin and your scalp flaky. Just don't dye it any more or in a couple years, you won't have any hair to dye. To keep it healthy, put honey in it about once a week. Works for me.



What is the consequences for bleaching your hair? will your hair recover?

Haha, I've done about the same thing, dyed with permanent dye, one week later, bleached it twice in one day, then tried to dye it again. THEN a week after that, had to dye it pitch black because the other color I tried turned grey. Yuck. My hair was completely fried though, it was brittle, tangled, dry; I couldn't run my fingers through it at all. I was able to get it back to a manageable and semi-healthy state though, thankfully. To start with, I tried to not wash it for a few days, just to let it get back some of the natural oil that the bleach stripped. After that, I used a TON of conditioner. Thankfully, I still had some that I had gotten from the first time I dyed it, so I used that every day. I also found some good leave in conditioner. Thankfully, my hair was previously really oily, and I'm pretty sure that was the reason why it was able to get back to normal as quick as it did. That was last summer, and I actually just bleached it again for the first time since. This time though, I know what NOT to do, and how to take care of it. But to sum it up, wash it less and with gentle shampoo, and use a lot of conditioner.



What is the consequences for bleaching your hair? will your hair recover?

Nothing brings your hair back after you bleach it or dye it. Anything chemical done to the hair is permanent damage. The peroxide opens up the cuticle and changes the cortex and medulla. Nothing recovers it.



You can buy stuff to help smooth the cuticle down so it doesn't feel so rough. Silicone drops and leave in conditioners help.



Sebastian Potion 9 is great for bleached or damaged hair. I used to be platinum blonde and I used it as a deep conditioner at least twice a week. Joico K-Pak is great for a daily shampoo/conditioner.



I'm so amazed that people want great looking hair and yet they abuse it so much, and then expect wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
norton